I'm going to let you in on six sensuality secrets that will give you more pleasure from your food!
But first, why am I talking about eating and sensuality in the same sentence?
Researchers have estimated that as much as 30-40% of our digestive response to a meal is due to the Cephalic Phase Digestive Response or CPDR for short!
So what exactly is CPDR and why is it important?
CPDR simply put means that the thought, sight and smell of food stimulates gastric secretions to prepare for the digestion of food even BEFORE you have taken your first bite, and that much of the pleasure of eating is derived from this anticipation.
The way your brain works is that it must experience this pleasure and satisfaction from the thought of food even before eating in order to signal to your body to stimulate digestive juices.
If I asked you to think of biting into a lemon, what happens? Does your mouth start to water? Yep, that's your CPDR in action!
BUT if you eat too fast or absentmindedly, your brain will interpret this unsatisfying experience as hunger. So even if you’ve just wolfed down a huge meal, you may still feel hungry!
So rather than shoving fork-loads of unidentifiable mounds into your mouth while watching TV or scrolling through Facebook give your undivided attention to the food on your plate and you will be amazed at the results!
So what will eating sensually actually do for me?
Don't get me wrong, there will always be times when eating quickly is our only option but basically, the more AWARENESS and PRESENCE you bring to each meal, the MORE satisfied you will feel. AND the less AWARENESS and PRESENCE you bring to each meal, the MORE hungry you will feel. For example, if you’re so busy gobbling down your sandwich while driving to a meeting, by the time you get to the end of the packet and you can’t even remember eating the first sandwich or what flavour it was, then you’re foregoing 30-40% of your digestive power, decreasing nutrient absorption and slowing down your metabolism.
Plus because of CPDR, your brain still WANTS to eat because it craves the full sensual experience of eating. It wants to know where the food is at!!
So if you aren’t engaging CDPR, the brain registers HUNGER, saying “Wait! I didn’t eat! I want more!”—even if you’ve eaten an entire family sized bag of crisps all to yourself! (and who hasn't!)
How do I eat sensually?
1. Sight: Savour the colours of your food, the beauty of what’s come from the earth, the rain and the sun.
2. Smell: Bring the food up to your nose as if you’ve never smelled it before and inhale.
3. Touch: What’s the texture of your food? Of your utensils? Of the napkin on your lap?
4. Environment: What environment are you creating for yourself when you eat? Candles or fluorescent light? Special china or paper plates? A crystal goblet or plastic cup?
5. Texture: Chew your food and notice the texture of the food...let yourself breathe while chewing.
6. Pamper Yourself: You may be wondering who are you to pamper yourself? And I ask you: who are you NOT to pamper yourself? So buy that special ingredient to make your meal extra tasty like truffle oil to spruce up your salad or high quality dark chocolate for dessert!
What do I do now?
In my signature coaching program, I help my clients identify their favourite ways to implement sensual eating into their lives.
If you are one of those people who wants to get more pleasure out of eating experience then get in touch to talk with me about how we might work together.